Pregnancy and children
Keeping Childrens’ Teeth Healthy
Children’s first teeth are important because, apart from being needed for chewing and speaking, they help to keep spaces for the permanent teeth. If the first teeth are well looked after, then it is more likely that the second teeth will grow into their correct position.
DID YOU KNOW: You can give your baby tooth decay. If you are planning a family or are pregnant a dental check up is highly recommended.
Dental decay is caused by bacteria and is a transmissible infection. A parent or caregiver with untreated decay can infect a baby with bad bacteria through kissing and food sharing.
- Brush your infant’s first teeth every day with a piece of gauze or cloth.
- Later your baby’s teeth can be brushed with a small soft brush, and use only a light smear of toothpaste.
- From 18 months to 6 years – the use of a reduced fluoride toothpaste eg Colgate Junior is recommended. 1/2 pea size amount on a toothbrush.
- If you live in a water-fluoridated area ensure your child does not swallow large amounts of toothpaste as too much fluoride may cause white patches on permanent teeth.
- Floss teeth that are tight together 2- 3 times a week or push fluoride toothpaste between teeth with a finger.
- Infants: Nursing bottle decay affects front teeth It is caused by baby going to sleep with a bottle of milk or sweet drink. Use only boiled water in bottle and remove once baby is asleep.
- Children: Limit your child’s eating episodes to 5 times a day. Continuous eating and drinking can cause tooth decay. Restrict frequent intake of food and drink with high sugar content. Encourage a healthy diet.
- For further information see our Tips for Healthy Teeth and Gums page.
- We can carry out the following treatments:
- Fissure sealants
- Referral to Orthodontist at appropriate age
- Custom-made sports mouthguards
- Fluoride treatments
Led by Dr Karen Harris (BDS Otago). City Dental Lounge provides the people of Auckland with a range of modern dental services all completed in-house with personal attention and care.
BOOK a FREE Invisalign or Magic Braces consultation and receive $20 off a thorough Professional Hygienist cleaning - Call us to book this special offer 09 366-1322.
Level 12 AMP Centre, 29 Customs Street W Auckland 1010
Sign up for our newsletter