Laser dental services
What are LASERs and how do they work?
Lasers show up in an amazing range of products and technologies. You will find them in everything from CD players to high speed metal cutting machines to measuring systems. They all use lasers. But what is a LASER? And what makes a laser beam different from the beam of a flashlight?
Some of the procedures which are performed by dental lasers include:
As an aid in cosmetic dentistry
- Gummy smile correction
- Reshape and straighten gums next to porcelain veneers
- Tissue retraction for impressions and eliminates need to pack cord
LASERs as an alternative to the surgical scalpel
- Recontouring of gum (crown lengthening)
- Oral surgery - Gingivectomy, Gingivoplasty, Frenectomy, Leukoplakia removal, Biopsies
- Tissue fusion - replacing sutures
- Implant exposure (2nd stage of implants)
- Incisions and draining of abscesses
LASERs can be used in Endodontics (root canal treatment)
- Low pain removal of nerve tissue
- Drying and Sterilisation of the root canal
- Single visit therapy sometimes possible
LASERs in the Treatment of gum disease
- Calculus removal below gum line
- Periodontal pocket decontamination
- Destroys bacteria involved in gum disease
- Promotes healing of gums and reattachment to root surfaces
- Acute gum infections
Treatment of Other Oral lesions
- Treatment of aphthous ulcers
- Treatment of cold sores/herpes – early intervention can prevent a cold sore from developing
What are the benefits of LASER dentistry?
- Low pain treatment: The LASER operates using very short pulses of energy. The pulses are so quick that the reaction threshold of nerves is not reached. Because of this anaesthetics are often not required for many procedures
- Sterile procedure: the LASER sterilises in action
- Germ destroying effect: Bacteria are vaporised instantly resulting in maximum germ reduction. LASER energy heats up and evaporates the moisture within bacterial cells.
- Reduced procedure time and efficient operation with less trauma
- Minimally invasive and precise: areas outside the laser beam are unaffected.
What are the advantages of LASER surgery?
- Dental LASERS are more gentle than other methods of cutting hard and soft oral tissue
- Sterilises treatment area
- Minimal anaesthetic required
- Less bleeding and swelling
- Reduced need for stitches
- Promotes fast healing: Operations with Lasers result in little or no post surgical discomfort
Immediate cosmetic results possible
- LASER treatments gently remove gum tissue to change the shape of the gum line
What will I experience during LASER treatment?
You are given protective eyewear. The area may be numbed with an anaesthetic injection although most times this is not required with a dental laser. A slight odour may be experienced during the procedure.
Are LASERs safe?
Yes. In the hands of a qualified trained dentist, lasers are very safe. As with any device used in the dental practice, we have undertaken the appropriate training courses with local instructors and overseas experts in laser dentistry.
Led by Dr Karen Harris (BDS Otago). City Dental Lounge provides the people of Auckland with a range of modern dental services all completed in-house with personal attention and care.
BOOK a Dental Hygiene appointment in the month of NOVEMBER and receive a FREE Polaluminate Teeth Whitening Pen. Standard Hygiene appoinment is 45 minutes. Book with our lovely Rebecca or Renee today!
Level 12 AMP Centre, 29 Customs Street W Auckland 1010
Sign up for our newsletter